40 Interview Questions about Incident Responder (With Sample Answers)
If you have an interview to become an incident responder, you should be ready so you have a better chance of getting the job. Along with learning about the company and reading the job description, you should also think about what questions the hiring manager might ask. If you know what questions will be asked, you can give answers that show off your skills in a professional way. This article lists some of the questions you might be asked at an interview to become an incident responder and gives you three examples of answers.
General incident responder interview questions
Most of the time, hiring managers ask questions at the start of an interview to find out more about you. Some questions might be about what you want to do with your career, while others might be about how hard you work. As an incident responder, here are some common interview questions:
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would your coworkers or boss describe how you do your job?
- What is the best thing about you as a person who helps at an accident?
- What’s the worst thing a first responder can do?
- What makes you want to work for us?
- Why did you decide to become an incident responder?
- Where do you see yourself in five or ten years?
- When you don’t have to work, what do you like to do?
- How much would you like to make?
- Why should someone hire you?
- What do you know about the job?
- Do you have any questions for me?
- What’s your favorite part about being a first responder?
Questions about work and history from the past
As the interview goes on, the person who is hiring you may ask you questions to find out how much experience you have. The answers to these questions help them decide if you are qualified for the job. As a first responder, the following questions about your background and experience may be asked of you:
- Tell me about your past jobs.
- What are your responsibilities at the job you have now?
- What’s the most important thing for first responders to have, in your opinion?
- Where did you get the knowledge you have?
- Which of your previous jobs do you think has best prepared you for this one?
- What is port scanning? Why should we do it?
- What is the best way to explain what a first responder does?
- What kinds of security breaches do you usually have to deal with as an incident responder?
- What is a security incident?
- What makes something happen?
- Do you prefer to work alone or with others?
- How is a system that looks for intrusions on a host different from a system that looks for intrusions on a network?
- How do you stop cross-site scripting from letting someone attack you?
- Tell me about the most important thing you’ve done at your job as a first responder.
At the end of an interview, hiring managers usually ask you questions about your experience and the job you are applying for. These questions help them figure out how you might act at work in different situations. They can also find out if you’re qualified for the job you’re applying for by asking you detailed questions. Here are some in-depth questions you can expect as an incident responder:
- Have you ever gotten into a fight with a coworker? What went wrong, and how did you fix it?
- Have you ever disagreed with your boss about something? Tell me about it.
- How would you use the cloud to look for a storage security flaw?
- Tell me what you’d do to find out where a dangerous email came from.
- Tell me about a time when you and other people worked well together. How did it help the company?
- Let’s say that a system that is crucial to running the business goes down. How do you feel? Explain your process.
- What do you do when you don’t know what to do?
- Tell me how you would go about doing a pentest.
- How do you talk to other people?
- Do you like firewalls that either close or filter the ports? Why?
Sample interview questions and how to answer them
You should also think about how you might answer the most common interview questions for this job. If you take the time to think of answers before the interview, you can feel more confident on the day of the interview. Here are some interview questions for first responders and some sample answers:
1. Tell me what you would do if security was broken.
Your most important job as an incident responder is to deal with a cybersecurity incident. Hiring managers ask this question to find out how well you can make decisions and solve problems. It also sees how well you understand your job. In your answer, explain how you plan to deal with cybersecurity problems and what steps you will take.
Example: “When this happens, I tell the people in charge right away and make sure that the security problem is fixed. After I find it, I look at the data and the incident to find out more about the breach. Then I turn off any systems that were affected and write down what happened so that problems like this don’t happen again.”
2. Tell me why it’s important to do a risk assessment.
As a person who responds to a situation, it’s important to know how to find and fix system flaws. This question is asked by hiring managers to see how well you know and understand these tests. Explain what a vulnerability assessment is when you answer.
Example: “Vulnerability assessments help find security holes in a network that an attacker could use to get to sensitive data or start an attack. It’s easier to stop security problems from happening in the future if you use them often.”
3.How can you stop an attack from someone on the inside?
People in charge of hiring want to know that you can do the most important part of the job. When they ask you this question, they are trying to find out how much you know and if you have any unique ideas for how to handle this situation. This question also shows them how you choose what to do first. In your answer, name a few of the best ways to stop this kind of attack.
“To avoid insider attacks, I often do regular risk assessments, write down security policies, and set up backups and strong account management policies.”