Interview Questions for a Computer Technician and Sample Answers
You need to give careful thought to computer technician interview questions to make sure you know what the job requires of you. The person who is interviewing you will probably ask you a number of questions to help them decide if you are qualified. If you know what the most common interview questions for this job are, you can give answers that are honest and well-thought-out. In this article, we look at some good answers to some of the most common interview questions for computer technicians.
General questions for computer technicians to ask at job interviews
An interviewer might ask you these questions to get to know you better:
- Tell me a little bit about yourself.
- What makes you want to do this job?
- What do you want to do with your work?
- How do you do what you do best?
- What are some of the worst things about you?
- Why should this company hire you?
- What does success look like to you?
- Why do you think you’re the best person for the job?
- How much do you want to make?
- Do you have any questions for me?
Questions about the background and experience of a computer technician
Here are some questions an interviewer might ask to find out about your education and work history:
- During school, what did you learn?
- At your last job, what were the most important things you had to do?
- What unique skills do you have?
- Do you have any proof of who you are?
- Have you ever worked as an IT professional?
- What do you know about IT?
- How good are you at using computers?
- Have you ever worked with customers?
- What kinds of computers are easy for you to use?
- How will what you’ve done before help you do this job?
Interview questions in depth for computer techs
These are some questions an interviewer might ask to find out how you handle different situations:
- Tell me about a time you made a mistake. How did you make it better?
- Tell me about a time when you did something good for a customer.
- Describe a time when you fixed a computer problem.
- Tell me about a time when you had to make the decisions.
- Tell me about a time you had to wait your turn at work.
- Do you prefer to work alone or in a group?
- Give a good description of the desktop operating systems you know how to use. Why?
- Have you ever used tools to help people get software? If so, what are they and why do you need them?
- How do you find out what’s wrong with a user’s computer?
- Do you know what a computer virus is and how to get rid of one?
Sample answers to questions asked at a job interview to become a computer technician
Here are some examples of how to answer interview questions for a job as a computer technician:
Tell me about a time when you had to put a computer together or fix it.
This is a question that interviewers might ask to see if you know how to do basic computer technician work. They can make a better decision about your qualifications or skill level if they know what you know and what skills you have.
Here’s what I mean: “Yes, fixing and installing software on customers’ broken desktop and laptop computers was one of the most important parts of my internship job. I also put together client computers by putting together the parts that were ordered. I was also a freelancer for two years, and I worked with many different clients and systems. These things not only gave me the skills I have now, but they also helped me get better at what I do and learn how to work with different kinds of computers.”
How would you figure out what was wrong with a computer if the tower was on but the monitor wasn’t?
This is a question an interviewer might ask to see how well you deal with problems. There are many things that could make a computer monitor not work. This lets the interviewer see if you know how to solve this common issue.
Example: “I could try different things to figure out what’s wrong. First, I’d check to see if the plug works. Second, I would check that the cords for the monitor and tower are connected correctly. Third, I would switch the cords to see if a bad cord was the reason the monitor wouldn’t turn on.”
Tell me about a time when a customer was mad at you and what you did to make them feel better.
An interviewer might ask you this question to see how well you get along with others and deal with hard situations. If you know how to deal with this kind of problem, it can show that you can work well under pressure, that you can take charge of a situation, and that you have good customer service skills.
Example: “When I was a freelance computer tech, I had a client who didn’t like my work because it took me too long to fix their computer. I didn’t lose my temper and explained why fixing it took longer than I thought it would. I told the customer that I had found more problems that needed fixing before I could continue with the first repairs. This helped to make things better. The client said he liked my answer and thanked me for the extra work I did on his system when it was ready.”
Do you know what a switch and a hub are?
This is another simple question that a computer technician may be asked during an interview. Try to answer with confidence and in a few words. Most of the time, interviewers want you to be honest because it helps them see how much you know.
Example: “Yes, the hub is a networking device that lets more than one computer connect to the same network. A switch, on the other hand, lets multiple devices connect to the same computer network. Basically, the hub adds more ports to the network, which helps it grow, while the switch splits the network into smaller parts to make it less crowded.”
How do you know what the newest technology is?
As computer technology changes, interviewers may expect candidates to keep up with the latest technology and computer advances. They sometimes ask this question to see if you know how important it is to know what’s going on in the world of technology. They may also ask you how you like to find out about new computers and technology.
Example: “On social media, I follow a number of different news sites. I also read a blog about technology because it tells me about new things as soon as they come out. I set up alerts on my phone so I can see right away when they post something new. This makes sure I always have the most up-to-date information. I also go to sites that stream videos and have great tech news.”